Image Map

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Find Text Evidence like a Detective!

A couple of years ago I put together a detective kit. I thought, 'if we want kids to find evidence, we want them to be little detectives.' And another fun introduction was born! So, I found a pencil box and thought about what I could put in the kit... It now has a flashlight, notepad, dry erase marker, cool pen, magnifying glass, post-its and nerdy glasses. Every week I choose a new detective. Of course, it's someone who's been a GREAT detective!
I kick off the week by asking students what detectives look for. Eventually, students arrive at "clues and evidence." So, I relate this to reading and how we have to find evidence to prove that our answers are right. Then, we all become detectives! When we go back to our seats I pose questions and the students search for evidence. If the students find evidence in the photos or text, they shout "Evidence!" and put a finger in the air (like an a-ha moment). 
We use those sheet protectors and dry erase markers like crazy! 

At the beginning of the week we use the photos and illustrations. All of my questions can be answered by looking at them. Then, we move on to finding evidence in the text. Students must read the text, read the question, then circle or highlight their evidence. By the third trimester our firsties will be expected to support their responses with information from the text. 

We're now getting more pencil and paper practice since we're nearing the end of the year. Students find evidence and answer in complete sentences. It's amazing to see their progress! I used this same process in second grade and it's a great way to get students to support their responses.
Hope this post is helpful or inspires you. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help clarify anything. 

No comments:

Post a Comment