Image Map

Monday, July 28, 2014

Monday Made It - Restroom Passes

I can't believe I almost went the entire summer without crafting! What?? I may not be the Queen of Craft, but I do enjoy making stuff. I'm thrilled to be linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made it.
I usually pick up restroom passes at Target's Dollar Spot because they're cheap and somewhat durable. I have to buy them every year though because my kids tear them up. Seriously! Sometimes they end up looking like a dog's been chewing on them! I don't know what happens out there! Anyways, I wasn't a fan of the Dollar Spot ones this year so I decided to make my own. 

Materials I used:
Mod Podge
Rectangle Wood
Scrapbook Paper
Foam Brush 

Optional: 

I already had most of the supplies, and the ones I didn't have were super cheap. I went to Michael's and found Wood Rectangles ($2.99) that came in a pack of 6. I used a 40% off coupon, plus my teacher discount which made these babies a dollar and change. Score! I already had cute scrapbook paper, a brayer and Mod Podge. 
Do you have a brayer? It's a must-have for Mod Podge messes.
In order to get started my handy hubby drilled a hole in each piece of wood. He used a 5/16 bit. Thanks to trial and error we realized that if we put tape on each piece it would prevent splintering. I think my hubby used a little sandpaper to smooth it out to afterwards. After this, I cut scrapbook paper that was just slightly wider than the piece of wood to make sure I could wrap it around like a candy bar (yum....). Next, I placed the paper around the piece and pulled so that it would fit nicely once glued. I ran the brayer along the surfaces and edges to make the paper lay as flat as possible. I put mod podge on one side at a time to make sure everything stayed in place. While the pieces dried I cut letters using my Cricut. 
Once the scrapbook paper completely dried, I placed the letters and used mod podge to attach them. Then, eventually went over the entire piece front and back. I tied some twine to passes, but will eventually attach them to lanyards. Mine are still packed up (sad face). 

I'm hoping these last through the school year. Fingers crossed! What kind of restroom passes do you use and for how long?

No comments:

Post a Comment